I hope your week started off with a bang! It’s the first week in December and the craziness is upon us.
I have seen list after list of ways to stay active and keep up a healthy routine during the holiday season, and I have loved reading everyone’s tips and tricks. I wanted to share some of my own with those of you who enjoy these lists as much as me!
When I named this list I thought of those hot bod commercials with the dudes running shirtless up a bunch of stairs. You know the ones, “I want your bod, hot bod.” My cousin and I used to laugh hysterically every time one came on.
- Take care of yourself- It’s the most wonderful time of the year for sure, but it can also be the most hectic. We are so busy shopping, baking and taking care of family and friends that sometimes we forget about ourselves, but you can’t do it all if you are stuck in bed. It’s so important to take care of yourself FIRST so you are the best you can be for others.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Wash your hands.
- Get some shut eye how to keep youre
You know the drill!
- Have a plan of action– So important! I write down every workout I do. This makes the gym so much more enjoyable. You don’t have to stand there for five minutes trying to figure out what you are going to do, you can put all your concentration into what you are doing at that moment and are much more efficient.
- Have a list– Compile a list of workouts you can do on the fly- no weights, gym, even shoes necessary! If you don’t have time, or don’t feel like going to the gym, just pick one of the workouts from the list. No excuses!
- Sign up for a holiday program with your gym or a fun run- My gym always has activities our members can sign up for outside of the normal exercise class. We host a mini triathlon a couple times a year, along with 4- 6 week boot camps. We also offer intermural sports. Check with your gym to see what they have going on and enlist a friend to join you! This goes for fun runs too!
- Take advantage of technology- I use apps all the time to help with my workouts. I have a stop watch I can use if I forget mine at home, and I usually have the workout I am doing in my notes so I don’t have to carry around a piece of paper at the gym. There even apps that will provide you with a workout! The Nike Training Club app is a good one.
- Use music as motivation- Pandora is okay, but I say dish out the ten bucks each month for a Spotify account. You can create as many playlists as you want with their live streamed music. For $10.00 a month you can listen to any song you want at any time! For someone who loves music, this is a steal!
- Stay caught up on your ZZZ’s- Being well rested will give you the energy you need to push through a workout. Don’t just assume that since you have so much on your plate right now, there is no way you can get enough sleep. You can, and you shouldn’t be making excuses not to. Wake up early. It’s really that simple. You will get more done by waking up early, rather than staying up late.
- 8. Keep it simple, sweetie- Short and simple that is. Don’t just throw in the towel if you can’t fit in an hour long workout that day. Do 5 or 10 minute workouts whenever you can fit them in. Try doing a squat jump tabata- that just takes four minutes, and I promise you will be out of breath when you finish.
That’s it. There’s my list. All wrapped up in a pretty bow ready for you to use!