I have been plagued with anxiety for as long as I can remember, and I have dealt with it in many ways, sometimes not always the best ways..
(remember this GIF?!)
With lot’s of practice and awareness I have learned how to manage anxiety with ways other than alcohol and chocolate..
1. know your triggers- Whether it be a certain task at work, a family member, or certain relationships- figure out what triggers your anxiety and if you can change it, such as getting out of an abusive relationship, do it. If it is not something you can change you need to learn to accept it and quit placing a negative light around it.
Stephen Levine, who is a Buddhist teacher once said “Hell is wanting to be somewhere you are not.”
Seriously, how true is that?
Anytime I long to be somewhere else I remember this quote and realize how great my life is; I need to give thanks for it and cherish it, not wish it away.
2. See things for what they really are– Anxiety tends to distort our thinking. In other words, we see problems much bigger than what they are. When you feel it coming on try as much as you can to relax. (I have found that being aware of my breath has helped calm my nerves.) Think through what is giving your anxiety. Most of the time it is something that has a simple solution that you can work through.
3. Kick the negative thoughts to the curb- This is such a big one. The negative thinking will only make matters worse. It takes a conscious effort, but when you feel anxiety come on, block out any negativity and, as Peter Pan would say, think happy thoughts.
I was watching the Today Show yesterday and they were talking about something along the lines of how to achieve goals, and the guest mentioned a quote from an extremely successful athlete:
“Iv’e learned to talk to myself, not listen to myself.”
I know they are talking about reaching goals, but this works with anxiety too.
4. Accept the past and release that shit. Oftentimes people who deal with anxiety have had unfortunate life events happen to them. It’s extremely important to be aware of these things and accept that they have happened. You are who you are because of them, but they are weighing you down. Once you accept it, let it go. Some people even need a physical way of doing this such as writing a letter and dropping it in the ocean or burning it.
Whatever tickles your fancy, just release it to the universe so it is no longer weighing you down.
5. Get active- Obviously, right? It could be going for a run or getting on the mat. It doesn’t matter what kind of activity you do, just do it.
I am not talking about a stroll around the mall. You need to Sweat. It. Out. This will release tension and make you feel good about yourself.
Feel free to get high off of as many endorphin’s as you would like.
Have a great weekend, friends!
How do you deal with anxiety?