Today I want to share with you a go to recipe that I probably make at least once a week. It is extremely easy and delicious! I discovered it on Cleaneatingmag.com, which I love because they offer hundreds of healthy recipes free of charge! Most of the recipes are quick and easy, so they are perfect for those of us who have about a million and one things going on all at once.
The recipe is Spaghetti Carbonara with Chicken sausage. It has all the delicious flavor and texture of traditional Carbonara without the cream. I use turkey sausage instead of chicken simply because it is easier to find.
Spaghetti Carbonara with Chicken Sausage
Photo: Ryan Szulc
By Julie O’Hara
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 1/2 lb thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
• 2 large shallots, sliced
• 1/8 tsp sea salt
• 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 3-oz links all-natural, cooked chicken sausage, diced
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
• 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add asparagus, shallots, salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add 1/3 cup water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until asparagus is crisp-tender and liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic has softened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Increase heat to medium and add sausage to skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and heated through. Add to bowl with asparagus.
3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and 1/8 tsp pepper; set aside. To boiling water, add pasta and cook al dente according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot, off of the heat. Immediately add egg mixture to hot pasta and stir vigorously until thickened and creamy, about 1 minute. Add asparagus mixture and stir to combine. Season with additional pepper. Divide among serving bowls, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 cups spaghetti carbonara): Calories: 354, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 51 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 25 g, Sodium: 508 mg, Cholesterol: 146 mg
This weeks workout focuses on your back and arms. In it you will do a strength move followed by a cardio move. Combining strength and cardio will take your fitness level to new heights and you will continue to burn fat long after the workout is over.
As always, you can head over to the exercise dictionary page for links to all the exercises.