Flax seed is gaining popularity quickly these days in large part due to the overwhelming amount of health benefits that can be received from consuming it. There is evidence that it can help reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes.
Here are a couple reasons why you should get your flax seed fix.
- Flax seed contains Omega -3 fatty acids which have a wide variety of benefits, boosting heart health is just one. It also lowers your triglyceride levels, which in turn decreases chances of heart disease. Omega -3 also lowers levels of depression and help with the development of your baby while pregnant.
- Flax seed contains plenty of fiber which helps with your digestive health and aides in weight loss.
- Flax seed also contains Lignans– a group of chemical compounds found in plants which have plant and estrogen qualities.
- Adding flax seed to your diet will aide in cardiovascular health and digestive health.
It is better to use ground flax seed because it is easier for your body to digest it, thus gaining all the health benefits from it.
There are many ways to add flax seed into your diet. Add it to food you already eat like a smoothie, oatmeal or yogurt. You can also bake with it like adding it to your pancakes or cookies.
Below is one of my favorite flax seed recipes. These little morsels hit the spot when you have a sweet tooth and is fairly healthy compared to most cookies.
Flaxseed and peanut butter balls
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1 tbs coconut oil
Pinch of salt
¾ tbs honey
¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Combine all ingredients in a big bowl.
2. Make 1 inch balls with dough and stick in the fridge for 30 minutes and enjoy!
I wanted to share with you a workout today as well. I love this workout and I have been doing it non stop!
I hope everyone has a great day and enjoy the rest of the beautiful week!
(Don’t forget to to over to my exercise dictionary page for links to the exercises)